I really enjoy creating my own patches for the Prophet REV2. Dave Smith really knows how to design intuitive user interfaces, and that way, creativity and inspiration aren’t being obstructed by menu-delving.
The music from Stranger Things keeps inspiring me and so I decided to do a little experiment. I tried to re-create the synth sound on the hook-line of “Kids” on the REV2. I think, I got close, all though there’s still some high-end sizzling missing and probably a lot of LFO-modulation. Nevertheless, I’d like to share that patch with you. Perhaps it’s a kind of starting point.
In the video below, you can see how I approached the song on the REV2. If you can’t wait to check out the patch, here it is:
My next plugin will be a delay again. I’ve gained some knowledge about sample interpolation since developing bolliedelay.lv2, which influenced the development of the XT version greatly. It’s gonna feature modulation and filtering in the feedback path.
No obligations, this weekend… And it’s raining. So I decided to assemble one of Tube Town’s great DIY Kits. This time it’s a Power Soak for my guitar amp. Here are some pictures. I’ll do some thorough testing later and post some results.
Here are some example files. I didn’t use a looper, as I wanted to test not only how it affects the tone, but also how it affects my playing. Well, it does. But hear foryourself:
First my amp with the Master Volume set to “Bedroom Level” without the PoS in the Chain:
Ever since I got my JTM-45 clone in summer 2015, I thought perhaps the Tube Screamer from Ibanez would be a nice addition, but I somehow hadn’t been motivated enough to buy one… until last week. I ordered a clone, The Screamer from Das MusikDing.
I had assembled a couple of kits from that shop before, but when I started soldering the Screamer, I was surprised about a small, but very convenient improvement over prior kits: Along with the various parts, a small PCB is being delivered. You solder the nine lugs of the footswitch to it and connect it to the input, output, LED and – of course – the main PCB. This completely removes the burden of spending an hour soldering various wires to the footswitch. Thumbs up, MusikDing! I also modified the circuit a little, making two resistores switchable, so you can choose between a TS808 and TS9 voicing.
After finishing assembling the kit, it instantly worked (Yay! Getting better at that. ;)) and as I cannot make much noise in my flat, I test-drove it using some impulse response and load box behind my amp. It sounded awesome! But that assessment turned into “Holy f*ck, this sounds frigging marvelous!”, when I used it at my friend’s rehearsal room. Especially on the TS9 setting. It’s exactly the overdrive pedal I’ve been looking for. It adds warmth, but also some grainy, crunchy cream topping. It works perfectly in front of other overdrives to create everlasting sustainy distortion sounds. Here’s a small blues jam from our last Klanghöhle Session. Usage of the TS starts at about 02:05.
I was lucky to ge my own MOD Duo from MOD Devices last week and since I can’t simply use it, I started diving into LV2-Programming, DSP, and HTML/CSS in order to create my first own Tap-Delay, called: The bolliedelay
It sounds pretty nice and I guess, it’s gonna be useful at our next jam session.
Of course, still a big list of features to be added. 😉
Oh, and here’s my (first real) project on github: https://github.com/MrBollie/bolliedelay.lv2
The MOD Duo: